How often do you say to yourself things like “I wish I had more clients” or “I wish I was doing more business” or “I wish I had more listings” wishing for this and wishing for that, hoping that if you keep “wishing,” it will come your way. I was inspired to write this article by an electrician that is doing some work at my home who said to me “You’re lucky, I wish I could work at home.” Luck has nothing to do with it and neither does wishing… 😉
I am “Hope” (Nadine means hope in Russian) and I hope reading this helps begin turning your wishes in to reality…or “realty”…whichever you prefer.
I no longer “wish” for things like I used to for two reasons.
- Wishing for things doesn’t do anything to move me forward towards my goals and life ambitions. It certainly doesn’t get me any closer to my purpose to “wish.”
- If I’m wishing for something else, how am I appreciating what I have and living in the moment I’m in. This moment is the only one I have, so instead of wishing for something else, I choose to be thankful for what “is.”
The definition of the word “wish”
To feel or express a strong desire or hope for something that is not easily attainable; want something that cannot or probably will not happen.
So my question to you is…do you want to keep “wishing” for something in your life, that according to the definition “cannot or probably won’t happen?” Or are you more in tuned with “doing” something that leads you to where you’re going? If it’s the latter, I have some ideas I wanted to share to help you get to “doing” instead of wishing, which leads nowhere.
As a Realtor®, you are in the lead generation business and must keep yourself busy “doing” activities that result in getting more leads for your database. Leads turn in to listings when you work them.
- Talk to 10 people per day. Just make contact with 10 people. Don’t sell them real estate, just keep in touch and find out how you can serve. When you keep in touch and are always ready to serve the needs of others, things just work out and the magic happens.
- Visit no less than 10 properties in your market per week. The best way to keep yourself educated and up to date on the market and what’s happening in it is to be “in” it. Get out of your office, get out of your house, step away from whatever it is that distracts you and “be” a Realtor® by “doing” the things Realtors® do when they are working and lead generating.
- Participate in Social Media. Social media isn’t going anywhere and if you’re not participating, you’re missing out on a huge amount of opportunity to build your reputation as well as your brand. You’re missing out on the opportunity to meet up with people on line, keep in touch and remind people you’re a Realtor®!!! Many friendships and relationships are established on social media sites like Facebook. It gives people a glimpse of who you are, what you stand for and what’s most important to you. Concerned about privacy…don’t post what you don’t want people to see! Simple.
- Attend networking events. You’ll meet a lot of local people at networking events. You must “list to last” and the people who are local to your community are the ones you want to network with. They are attending networking events to “network,” so get out there and network, finding out how you can serve each others businesses.
- Be of service. Being of service in your community and the community you serve, serves everyone. When we serve others, it all comes back around 10 fold. Getting involved in community events helps you to get to know the community and the leaders of the community. They’re the ones who making things happen in the community you serve and will direct people your way when they see you’re commitment to the common goals of a great community.
- Be consistent with your marketing. Marketing is like food for your business and without it, your business can’t survive. Have a real estate marketing budget, work your budget by working your database via mail, phone and email.
If you had a wish list in your real estate business, I hope after reading this you put wishing aside and start doing to make it all happen. Your life and your real estate business is where it is because you set it up that way based on what you do or don’t do. Start doing something different and something different will come your way as a result.
Be blessed! Keep me posted on Twitter, Facebook or LinkedIn on how these ideas worked to change something in your business.